2020 Nominees for Vestry and Diocesan Delegates
The Vestry Nominating Committee announces the following candidates for Vestry positions and to serve as delegates at the annual Diocesan convention. They will be voted on following our Annual Meeting on June 28, 2020.
Nominations from the floor are accepted. If you wish to self-nominate or to nominate another person to Vestry or as a delegate to the Diocesan Convention, please email those names to Janice Musselman as soon as possible. Thank you.
For Vestry Member (three-year term):
For Vestry Member (two-year term):
For Diocesan Convention Lay Delegates and Alternate
For Vestry Member (three-year term)
Attended Christ Church since 2016
Activities with Christ Church: Altar Guild.
Current Secular Position: Pharmacist.
Other: Live in Rockville, MD.
Goals for Christ Church: With God’s guidance, act with the rector and members to grow the mission, vision, values, goals and volunteerism of the Church – to seek continuity and embrace change.
Attended Christ Church since 1980
Activities with Christ Church: Choir. Helping with youth group activities. Convention delegate.
Current Secular Position: Retired in January 2019 after 54 years as a Cardiac RN at NIH and NNMC.
Other: Came into the Episcopal Church under Fr. Brown (the Rector in 1980). So impressed at the welcoming and lively atmosphere. Fell in love with the service. Many changes since then.
Goals for Christ Church: Hope to help restore that same atmosphere that I first knew so that there is a true communion in Christ Church.
Attended Christ Church since 2005
Activities with Christ Church: Outreach Committee, ESOL Class, Coffee Hour, Loaves and Fishes, lay reader.
Current Secular Position: Retired from Montgomery History.
Other: Former librarian.
Goals for Christ Church: Keep us as a vibrant, growing Christian community with thriving programs for children and youth, an inspiring music program to aid our worship, and cooperative outreach programs that will help God’s people. I would also like us to reach out more in the community to grow our membership. I would like to see a workable relationship between the church and school which includes the stabilization of finances of both. I would like to have a new rector to lead us as soon as possible.
Attended Christ Church since 2013 (but also attended during the 1970s)
Activities with Christ Church: Currently a lector. In the 1970s, Marilyn and I conducted the Sunday children’s church services.
Current Secular Position: Retired
Other: I joined the Episcopal Church in college. Marilyn and I moved to Fallsmead in 1971, where we raised our two sons. We attended Christ Church in the 1970s until the boys went to St. Albans School and sang in the Cathedral Choir. We attended the Cathedral until we returned to Christ Church after I retired in 2013.
I came down from New Jersey to Washington in the 1960s for a clerkship with a federal judge. I loved the area and decided to stay here permanently. For most of the next 47 years, I worked as attorney and executive with the federal courts.
Goals for Christ Church: Our parish has been hit in rapid succession by a series of huge changes, including: (1) retirements of our long-serving rector, assistant rector, and musical director; (2) a major capital campaign; (3) recent operational cutbacks due to budget shortfalls; and (4) the shutdown of church services and in-person activities by the coronavirus crisis. In this light, I suggest the following goals:
- celebrating our rich Episcopal-Anglican heritage and our tradition of tolerance;
- taking maximum advantage of the great assets we already enjoy – a loyal and dynamic membership, sound management, inspirational worship, great music, beautiful church facilities, vibrant children’s and youth activities, and our many pastoral, outreach, service, education, fellowship, and social programs;
- maintaining parish unity and common purpose as we adjust to new clergy and make some painful changes that will be necessary in the post-coronavirus world;
- increasing church attendance and parish membership; and
- strengthening parish finances by completing the capital campaign and exploring new ways to raise funds.
For Vestry Member (two-year term)
Attended Christ Church since October 2016
Activities with Christ Church: Studies in Christian Faith & Vestry.
Current Secular Position: Supervisory Pharmacologist (FDA).
Other: Membership in social and alumni associations.
Adebayo (Bayo) Laniyonu was born into the Anglican Communion in Nigeria. Bayo resides in Derwood Station with his wife, Bose. They are blessed with five children, four adult sons and a 13-year-old daughter. Prior to coming to Christ Episcopal Church, Bayo attended the Church of the Redeemer in Gaithersburg. He attended an Anglican High School, and Colleges in Nigeria and Scotland. Bayo works as a Supervisory Pharmacologist with the FDA, his employer since 1997. Bayo can attest to the Grace and Mercy of God in his life and that God has not finished with him yet, a work in progress.
Goals for Christ Church: To serve and support Christ Church as it continues to nurture the spiritual growth of the congregation. That our spiritual growth sensitizes us to the needs within the Church and our duty to “the least of these my brethren” outside the Church who may or may not share our faith. That community of Christian believers from across the Globe finds us a welcoming congregation in words and deeds.
For Diocesan Convention Lay Delegates and Alternate
Attended Christ Church since 1998
Activities with Christ Church: LLEM; Vestry Committee Secretary; former Vestry member, Delegate to Convention 2020.
Current Secular Position: Deputy Director, Operations at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Drug Evaluation & Research, Office of Compliance.
Other: My professional background is in regulatory science (chemistry) and public health, where I have the privilege of ensuring that medical products are safe, effective and of high quality. My responsibilities include oversight of compliance operations, business acumen, strategic planning and knowledge management.
I grew up in Seattle and at a young age accepted the Lord into my life. Our family began attending Christ Church about nineteen years ago. One daughter attended middle school at CEC and both daughters later became acolytes where they served for 5 years. I am an LLEM at the 8:00am service, recently served on Vestry for one year, was the Vestry Clerk during that time and lead a chapel service once a month at Collingswood Nursing Home. I was a Delegate to Convention last year.
Goals for Christ Church: The Diocese of Washington strives to “engage a changing world with an enduring faith in Jesus Christ.” We live in a culture that shares through social media, recipes, travel experiences and sports—to name a few. We need to continue to share our spiritual experiences in a thoughtful and appropriate way; to show our community at large that we care for them as individuals; to partner and collaborate with those around us and encourage them to find a home at Christ Church. If selected as a delegate, I would like to work with our leadership and the parish to help grow and nurture the parish community through these challenging times knowing that the Lord is here to sustain us. I look forward to representing you as a delegate to the convention. Thank you for your consideration.
Attended Christ Church since 2005
Activities with Christ Church: Adult Formation, Newcomers, Vestry.
Current secular position: Real Estate Sales Associate, Washington Fine Properties.
Other: I was baptized in the Episcopal Church, confirmed with a slap in the Episcopal Church, married in the Episcopal Church and have attended Christ Episcopal Church since we moved to Rockville in 2005. I am married to Delia McCormick and have three sons and three grandchildren. Since joining Christ Episcopal I have served a term on the vestry, participated in several ministries, including Adult Christian Formation and Newcomers/Welcomers Committee.
Professionally, I worked on Capitol Hill for fourteen years, was a government relations counselor for fourteen years, and have worked with Delia and my son, James, as a residential real estate agent for the last fifteen years.
Goals for Christ Church: To work for the continued vitality of the Church in a post-Covid-19 world.
Attended Christ Church since 2010
Activities with Christ Church:
- Founding Member: St. Francis Flock Animal Welfare Ministry (2013 – present)
- Chair (January 2017 – Present)
- Lead/facilitate ministry meetings, solicit input from members, encourage ownership of ideas, tasks, new initiatives, etc., and work toward consensus to successfully execute the ministry’s planned activities
- Presenter/spokesperson to vestry for seeking approval to become a formally recognized ministry (2015) and for seeking the Episcopal Church’s “Animal Friendly Congregation” designation for Christ Episcopal Church (2019)
- Representative/spokesperson/liaison to church leadership to get approval for key ministry events, coordinate logistics (working w/ church staff), address issues, etc.
- Develop/deliver ministry Annual Report to church congregation (2017 – present)
- Adult Forum Presenter of St. Francis Flock Ministry Overview (October 2019)
- Pianist for Pet Memorial Service (2016, 2018-2019)
- Education & Communications Lead (2014-2016)
- Developed Angelus submissions, weekly bulletins, and fliers for key events on behalf of St. Francis Flock (2014-2016)
- Organizer, promoter, and/or participant in St. Francis Flock key annual activities offered at the church including, but not limited to, Lenten Film Series, Blessing of the Animals, Pet Memorial Service (2014 – present)
- Member: Faithful Professionals discussion group led by Lynn Perry Parker (2012 – 2014)
- Regular church attendee (2010 – present)
- Attend various church-sponsored activities (e.g., Serving Others Sunday (SOS), church-sponsored lunches/dinners, Newcomers reception, various Adult Forums, etc.) (2010-present)
- Encouraged/supported daughter’s (Marie Matulka-Nicely’s) early joining and participation in Choristers (2014-2016) and Acolytes (2017 – present) and spouse’s (Meghan Matulka’s) tenure on the vestry
- Frequent donor Bargain Box (ongoing)
Current secular position: Senior Management/Performance Management Consultant, Rigil Corporation, Washington, DC.
Other: Security Clearance: Secret (1998 – current)
Education: M.A.I.S. Organization Development, George Mason University (2001)
B.S. speech Communication, Radford University (1992)
Overall Goal for Christ Church: Increase membership via continued offering of quality and inclusive programs and ministries; outreach. Increase/maintain Church’s vibrancy
Specific Goal as Diocesan Convention Delegate: Accurately and effectively (1) represent Christ Episcopal Church congregation at the convention and (2) report key outcomes of the convention back to parishioners
Message to Congregation: I look forward to participating in this unique opportunity to represent you – all of you – and ask for your vote. Thank you!
Attended Christ Church since 2017
Activities with Christ Church: St. Francis Flock
Current Secular Position: attorney, U.S. Department of Labor
Goals for Christ Church: Stability after a very transitional period.