Become a Member
Whether you are a newcomer or have attended for years, we welcome you to become a formal member of Christ Church.
What Does it Mean to Be a Member of Christ Church?
According to our Catechism, part of the calling of all Christians and parishioners is “…to follow Christ; to come together week by week for corporate worship; and to work, pray and give for the spread of the kingdom of God” (Book of Common Prayer, p. 856).
Members of Christ Church are encouraged to take these practices to heart: regular worship with the gathered community, discipleship exercised through one’s sense of calling and giftedness, prayer without ceasing, and financial stewardship of gifts in thanksgiving to God.
It is a normative spiritual practice to make an annual pledge of financial support to Christ Church. Our mission, ministry, and maintenance primarily depend on the support of our parishioners. Making formal pledges aids greatly in knowing what resources we can rely on to sustain our budget.
How Do I Become a Member?
Those Who Have Been Baptized - If you are previously baptized and would like to join Christ Church, let our Parish Office know, and we will work with you to make the necessary arrangements. This may include a letter of transfer, a new member database form, or other arrangements.
Transferring Churches - If you are moving to Christ Church from another Episcopal church or from another Protestant denomination, your former church can transfer your membership.
Please contact your former church to initiate a Letter of Transfer. Your former church will fill out the standard form, the clergy will sign it, and it will then be mailed to our Parish Office. This ensures all your records, such as baptism and confirmation, will be transferred to Christ Church.
New Member Database Form - We also ask that you fill out a New Member Database form to assist our Parish Office’s recordkeeping. It provides us with dates of birthdays and anniversaries, and your relationship to any family members who may be joining the church with you.
Those Who Wish to Be Baptized, Confirmed, or Received - If you wish to be baptized, confirmed, or formally received into the fellowship of the Anglican Communion, contact the church office at 301-762-2191.
The rector leads a class each year for adults and older teens to prepare those who will be presented for confirmation, reception, or reaffirmation at the Washington National Cathedral. Please contact the office for details.
How Do I Become a Voting Member?
Our Parish Bylaws state that in order to be a voting member of Christ Church, you must be:
- At least 16 years of age
- Registered as a member with the Parish Office
- A contributor of record, having given at least $100 in the previous calendar year or the equivalent in services
You are a registered member of Christ Church if you meet one of the following conditions:
- You were baptized at this church and have never transferred your membership to another church.
- You were confirmed or formally received into the Anglican Communion through Christ Church.
- You had a formal Letter of Transfer of your membership from another Episcopal church or from a church of another Protestant denomination.
- You are formerly Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, or from another church of the Anglican Communion, and you were made a member of Christ Church by formal declaration—meaning that you produced evidence of your baptism and made known your desire to be made a member of this parish.